Hello dear reader(s)!
It is a beautiful day, isn’t it? Just agree and nobody gets hurt.
I am in a great mood today! The sun is shining, (so I have all the blinds drawn), the birds are chirping, (so my bats will have something to feed on), and things are just generally pretty good thus far. Of course, I still have this unexplained headache, but it isn’t as debilitating this morning as it has been in previous mornings. I am also expecting a call back from my doctor so we can hopefully get on the road to figuring out just what the hell is wrong. That road, not coincidentally, goes through Albuquerque, NM. Why? Why not?
But it isn’t just lack of 10-scale pain that has me in a good mood. I am also in a good mood because in the adulting I have had to do (like go to doctor’s appointments, dealing with insurance companies, dealing with things to establish residency, and passing out from the drugs meant to relieve my headaches), I have also taken some time for youthing.
What is youthing?
Well, dear reader(s), it is the opposite of adulting. And everyone needs to do it, in order to not suck. Let’s give some examples of youthing, that can be done as an adult, if you don’t suck.
- Celebrating holidays This includes birthdays. Who doesn’t celebrate birthdays? Communists, fascists, and Jehovah’s Witnesses, that’s who. I don’t care if you don’t get any more special privileges on your birthday once you reach a certain age, they are still important. They are the anniversary of the day the world was graced with your presence, and unless you are a terrible human being, that day should be celebrated. Then there are other holidays. Maybe they celebrate the harvest, or abundance, or the fact that you are alive to face another winter, or the fact that you made it through that winter, or just another day. I’ve never understood people who don’t want to celebrate the days that are given to us for celebrating. You don’t have to throw a huge kegger and get fucked up by snorting lines of coke off of strippers, (sorry, exoctic dancers), but you should celebrate. You don’t seem mature for not celebrating, you seem like a scroogey douche.
- Playing You have this one life, in this body, here on this Earth. You are not put here to suffer for an afterlife that nobody knows if you will actually have. You will suffer plenty in this life, but you have the right to enjoy it too. So go and play! Take a hike. Yeah you, take hike! Go kayaking. Here’s one…go to a park, and get on the swing set. They are still fun, honest. If you touch the chains, yeah, bring hand sanitizer. But go have fun. People who know how to have a good time are attractive. Not everything is serious. Play pool. Play air hockey. Go bowling. Play video games. Play music. Sing terribly. Dance like someone is watching but you are trying to make them laugh. Do something that makes you happy.
- Other playing I’d call this adulting, but really…have you seen an adult couple verses a teenage couple? Make out. In public. Don’t get obscene about it, but enjoy yourself and the person you’re with. Then go home, and do get obscene. And have fun with it. Do the dirty things that you’d never admit to if anyone but your lover asked. One life. At least one life here, with these parts, and these hormones. Use them. Be that horny teenager in everyday life.
- Treats I try to eat healthy for the most part. Lately, I have been failing pretty bad in that respect because a lot of my eating has been out of the house as I have been exploring the city or just have been away from home during normal meal hours. Hopefully that will moderate a little soon, but even when it does, I am still going to treat myself. I live in a city with the world’s greatest barbecue. You can’t not treat yourself to the world’s greatest barbecue. The best pulled pork sandwich I have ever had is literally a few blocks away. (Shout out to Back Porch Barbecue!) Also, it’s still pumpkin season. Pumpkin everything please. I had pumpkin pie on my birthday. Why? Because I am youthing as an adult, and I can. That’s why. Some people like cake. They can have their cake, and eat it too. I’ll have a piece too, because I can. And if it is cheesecake, I’ll have a few pieces. You might have to restrain me in order to have any left.
- Awe Have you ever been around a kid under the age of 5 who is still wowed by everything new they see? Could you imagine being that way again? You can be. This world has some amazing things in it that I guarantee you have never seen or experienced before. Go find it! Whether it is an amazing sunset, a beautiful forest, a calm lake, a vast ocean, a sweet little farm, a new city, the beautiful pictures of someone special, or anything else positive and new; there is something to inspire you if you choose to look for it.
Adulting is hard work. There is nothing wrong with hard work, but if that is all your life is, what is the point? You need balance, grasshopper.
So when adulting is too much, it is time for you to be youthing.