Hello Bernie or Buster(s)!
Did you really think primaries were democratic?
Of course the system is rigged. Didn’t you already know that? Bernie Sanders did. He’d been talking about it for months. So where were your protests while the voting was still going on? Because guess what?
It’s too late now. You have two choices. Only two. Jill Stein will not win. Look at the polls. Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton are the choices. Bernie Sanders conceded. He did. Look it up. There is nothing to be done now, except make you look all delusional.
I wanted the Democrats to choose Bernie Sanders. I talked and talked about how much better I thought Bernie Sanders would be as President, and about how much more I like his consistent positions on the issues and his idealism. I really, really wanted them to choose him. I tried to get people to. I talked about how the party was using the media, and the debate schedules to tip the scales for Clinton.
And yet, they were still able to tip the scales. We didn’t need these fucking emails to tell us that the party elite wanted Clinton. We needed the people to hear that and reject it.
BUT THEY DIDN’T.
This email leak is not news. Parties select their nominees. In a way, they have a right to. It is their money, and their reputation on the line. They work for the nominee, using the machinery they built. We’re lucky we even get primaries. The party sets rules for primaries, not the government. The party wanted a tightly controlled poll. A beauty contest.
Would Sanders have won in a regular election, without party interference, with open primaries?
But that’s not what this was. And here is the part you may be missing…
SANDERS KNEW THAT GOING IN.
His hope, was that his message would resonate in such a way, that the people would reject the party preemptively choosing Clinton and give her such a defeat in the polls, that the party couldn’t ignore it. His other hope, was that failing that, he would show the progressive wing of the party is a genuine force within the party, and must be considered. He succeeded in the second goal unlike anyone ever has.
Throwing a fit at the convention after he already conceded does nobody any good. Refusing to vote for Clinton does nobody any good.
The party’s primary didn’t take your democracy, party politics are not democratic, and never have been. Ever. And it is their party. They don’t have to be.
So you can be butthurt about that all you want, but here is what happens if you do not vote for Clinton.
- Trump is elected. Jill Stein isn’t even on the ballot in all 50 states. She has no organization and is not capable of getting the votes to change a thing. 85% of Sanders supporters intend to vote for Clinton. Which leaves just 15% who will go to Stein or the libertarian. Not 15% of voters. 15% of Sanders supporters. Of which only 40% of the Democratic primary voters are. Which is roughly 50% of the primary voters in all parties. Meaning, in the general, you will have up to 15% of 40% of 50% for Stein. You are throwing your vote away, or just using it for some notion of vengeance against Clinton. But what will that vengeance get you?
- You betray your LGBTQ friends. Trump will appoint justices who will try to overturn the ruling on marriage equality, and allow discrimination using religion as an excuse. Only Christianity, of course.
- You make Mike Pence Vice President. A champion of straight white male privilege. Congratulations.
- You betray the women you know. Because when a party and their nominees specifically state they want to control women’s bodies, and you allow those people to run your government, you are responsible.
- You kick millions of people off of healthcare. The ADA is far from perfect. But it is light-years better than what we had before. We can tweak it some, but scrapping it altogether is the stated goal of the Republicans.
- You create more terrorism. We’re talking about a President who advocates torture. This isn’t a fucking episode of 24, and Trump is not Jack Bauer. It just is not effective and makes us even more hated. I don’t even like Hillary Clinton’s interventionism, but if you think the Republicans wont be a lot more trigger happy, you obviously don’t pay attention.
- You create more income inequality. Trickle down doesn’t work. There is a reason Bernie Sanders was so quick to capitulate and try to work with the Democrats. They don’t have anything on him. He’s clean. He’s just terrified of a Trump presidency, as well he should be. Do you think he doesn’t how disastrous it would be to elect Trump?
- Etc… Just look at the platform. It is the opposite of the Democratic platform. Will Clinton enact every piece of the platform? No, obviously. But with Clinton, we get incremental steps forward instead of a radical regression backward along with the loss of the progress for DECADES thanks to the Supreme Court.
Do you want to sacrifice MILLIONS of people because the party didn’t play fair? Because you didn’t get everything you want?
Is that where you’re at, you spoiled, rotten children?
“Debbie wouldn’t let me have the Ferrari and stuck with me a TESLA! Whaaaaaah! If I can’t have my Ferrari I hate this TESLA!!!! I’ll just lie here and die instead.”
That is what you are doing.
This election is too important to hand it over to a madman because someone hurt your little feelings. People’s lives are on the line, this isn’t a fucking episode of My Super Sweet 16.
Progressives are gaining a foothold in government again. There are many progressive candidates running for other offices in November. If you hand the Presidency to Trump, they will have no ability to push their agenda whatsoever.
So take off your trilby that you mistakenly call a fedora, put down your signs, and work to ensure that Trump does not end the revolution Sanders helped create.
When Trump comes for the Immigrants, it will be on you. When Pence allows homosexuals to be slaughtered, it will be on you. When an ineffective and symbolically wrong wall is built and Mexico won’t pay for it, taking money away from things that actually matter as people starve and die of exposure, it will be on you. When violence between races in encouraged by our government, it will be on you. When violence is acceptable as the way to deal with political opposition, it will be on you. How well do you think you will do with your progressive values in a fascist regime?
But I guess you should have gotten your way, huh?