Hello dear reader(s)!
Welcome to the month o’ love. It is February, the month in which we all celebrate the wonders of love. Why?
Well, because in 1929 some gangsters were shot in a garage in Chicago, that’s why. But that’s not all, February is a month in which love shines through. How else? Well…
- Black History Month That’s right. What says, “I love you!” better than setting aside less than 1/12th of a year for people’s history to be recognized? Can love be better described than by reinforcing the notion that black people should be so segregated that black history is not just regularly integrated into all other history? I don’t think so, anyway. I know if I was black, I sure would be glad that my history is given 28 whole days and even 29 in leap years! Whoo-hoo!
- President’s Day President’s Day is the day for Presidents, and they don’t even get the day off. You know they are still making decisions and getting their briefings. Also, it is somewhere between Washington and Lincoln’s birthday, so it eliminates two potential holidays in favor of one. If that isn’t bad enough, it is supposed to celebrate Presidents, but really ends up being an excuse for furniture stores to have really annoying sale commercials. Because honoring our Presidents and buying furniture should always go hand-in-hand.
- The Actual St. Valentine’s Day It all comes down to martyrdom, the favorite pastime of major religions everywhere! Somehow, a Christian who may or may not have married other Christians in Rome when that sort of thing was apparently not cool with the Romans and according to legend, is said to have healed the daughter of his jailer prior to execution, has become associated with love and romance. The florist industry has decided to jack up the prices of a flower that doesn’t grow very well in those months, and imply they are mandatory, so as to make a bunch of money. Chocolates are also expected, as is jewelry and cards. Whatever people can make money at. Because a stone made artificially rare by a monopoly controlling the industry and a false association with those material things being anything at all what love is, makes people money. And what is more important to love than the pursuit of money? That has always worked out well.
- The Length of This Month Because why should the month of love be an entire month, instead of the year’s leftovers? Seriously, why is February a thing?
- Imbolc, Candlemass, Ground Hog Day, whatever… I don’t care what you call it, but tomorrow will be an important day to many people. For me, it is really the true beginning of Spring. Which makes sense to me, because we are beginning to see the days get longer, and the crocuses are coming up. Granted, it is still cold, but you can tell we are on our way now. For you, you may believe a rodent can predict the weather. Or maybe you care that Jesus would have been presented at the temple this day if he really was born in December. So have a great tomorrow, whatever insane belief you use to judge my observable ones. Or better yet, don’t judge other people’s beliefs. I guess that would be too loving for the month o’ love, wouldn’t it?
- The Cold We may be moving toward Spring, but it is still Winter. Which means it is likely going to be cold. And what better way to spend time in the cold than to love? That’s right, the reason this month is really associated with love has nothing to do with the points above. February is the month o’ love because it is a cold as fuck, sorry as fuck excuse for a leftover month in which there is nothing better to do or no better way to stay warn than sharing body heat by fucking. Excuse me, loving.
So what about you, dear reader(s), do you like February? Do you feel like it is the month o’ love? Do you care about Valentine’s Day or do you think it is a scam by certain industries to move product they normally wouldn’t be able to move? Don’t you think love should be showed every day and every month?