Hello dear reader(s)!
Does anyone know where I can find hot, exciting blogs in my area just waiting to connect with me?
I have to say, I am rather disappointed in my blog-type-thinging experience recently. It seems many of my old blog relationships have grown stale. Perhaps the former bloggers moved on to bigger and better things in their lives, perhaps they are going through personal struggles that require a hiatus, or perhaps they just ran out of ideas. Either way, it just isn’t working out anymore. It’s not me, it’s them.
Of course, some of the people I follow still manage to squeeze out original content, but so many have been doing nothing but sharing work on other people’s blogs that I frankly wonder why I continue following. We had something good once, and they’ve thrown it all away.
And I know, a good way to build readership and make connections in the wonderful world of WordPress is to click that “Reblog” button. And from time to time, I will do that too. Sometimes something is so good, you just have to share it. But every day?
You used to write! You used to post! Now you just sift through the Reader and hit a button if something grabs your attention. You also didn’t even notice I did my hair! And the worst part? I probably already follow those people you reblogged. Which means I am subjected to the same post about a hundred and fifty times published by various different people in the space of an hour or two.
So, I have to ask, “Why then, do you still have a blog? Did you ever really want to write, or were you just stringing me along as another notch on your follower count?”
We all need to take time away from writing from time to time. Especially if we have things going on in our lives. it can be a little too consuming. I get that. And if during that period you reblog someone’s post every couple of days to let people know you are still there, rather than doing like I do and just dropping off the face of the Earth to have to rebuild any kind of audience; then more power to you.
But I did not follow your blog to be subjected to 30 reblogs a day and 0 original content.
It has gotten to the point where if I see “Originally posted on” in anyone’s post I scroll right past. What really sucks is when there are words before that so it doesn’t show in the Reader and you waste a click in to something you will just end up reading when you get down to that person’s page anyway. Clicks are precious, people! They should not be wasted. They are like trees! …Only without the leaves, roots, trunks, bark, limbs…okay fine, they are nothing like trees!
As you may or may not be able to tell, I am making a little bit of fun at myself for the vitriol I feel about something so inconsequential. However, that does not mean that I do not believe in the point I am trying to make. Are you a blog, or a news service?
Today, it got so bad, I had to go to the library to find something new to read. The library! Do you know what kind of people hang out in the library?
Just kidding, it wasn’t bad at all, and I got a few good, real, books which I genuinely prefer to digital copies anyway.
Nevertheless, you made me get up and go somewhere. All because you once were a blog, and now you are your own version of the WordPress Reader that everyone who uses WordPress already has!
So, let’s go ahead and consider this my blog-type-thing’s personal ad for finding other good blogs.
I will list my criteria first.
- Must be at least 80% original content.
- Must not be supporting the neoconservative or right-wing mentality.
- Must not be discriminatory.
- Must not think anyone who has anything bad happen to them somehow deserved it or didn’t take “personal responsibility”.
- Must not be so niche that nobody can relate unless they too are in that niche.
- Must not be a purely celebrity blog.
- Must play well with others.
- Must not attempt to convert this blog-type-thing to your religion or lack thereof.
Now I will list some of what my blog-type-thing has to offer.
- So um, I’m like so totally random! No, really, I am. I might post an attempt at humor one day, a political post the next, a poem another, a short story another, or maybe all of the above on the same day if I’m feeling particularly prolific.
- I try to write things that not everyone writes about or would even dare to write about. Like criticizing one’s own country.
- I can occasionally offer up inspirational advice based on real life experience.
- I like long walks on the beach, am a good bar trivia player, love to travel, and am quite adept at posting to as many as ten people!
So come on, forget your blogging inhibitions. Write some posts. If you see mine, stop by and say hello. I won’t bite…you. I can’t, I’m a blog-type-thing. If anyone knows of any blogs who still post their own stuff that I am not currently already following, please feel free to let me know in the comments. Promote your friends. I am sick of having to rely on libraries or bookstores to get some reading in.