Hello dear reader(s)! Today I need to depart from my usual style (Wait, I don’t have a usual style…well, anyway…) to get something off of my chest. Have you ever heard that you are not supposed to answer a question with another question? Well, I disagree. I’m going to attempt to answer a common question being asked recently with a bunch of questions. The question in question is one that is an emotional response to atrocities that have been committed recently in the name of a particular religion. The wording of this question varies, but the basic thrust is, “If Islam is a religion of peace, why don’t the “good” ones stand up to the bad ones killing in its name?” Now, I understand the emotions behind asking a question like this. What I do not understand, is how anybody could logically expect an answer to the question they would deem to be satisfactory.
I know many of my followers have posted this question on their blogs recently, and so if what I say offends you too much, you have every right in the world to unfollow me. I’m not going to pull any punches in my attempt to address this question with my questioning. I also, would like to remind everyone here that I do not subscribe to any organized religion and therefore have no interest in the defense of a religion other than the right of people to believe what they want, as long as those beliefs don’t interfere with the rights of others.
So, “Why don’t the good ones stand up to the bad ones and stop them from killing in their religion’s name?
- Why didn’t the good German people stand up to the Nazis and prevent the genocide they took part in?
- Why don’t the good Christians stand up and stop the KKK from performing their terrorism in the name of Christianity?
- Why don’t the peaceful Jewish people stand up to Israel for keeping the citizens of Gaza in ghettos and bombing them repeatedly?
- Why don’t the people of Gaza stand up to the terrorists flinging rockets at Israel?
- Why didn’t the people of China continue to stand up to their government after Tiananmen Square?
- Why don’t the citizens of the US stand up to their government’s interference in the rights of sovereign nations only to protect the interest of their corporations?
- Why don’t the citizens of every nation that has ever fought in a war for economic power stand up to those who would send people to die in it?
- Why don’t you stand up and fight the people in power, manipulating the masses using religion, fear, nationalism, economics, and racism?
There are plenty of Muslims speaking out against the terrorists acting in the name of their religion. There are even some very brave Muslims fighting them.
Are you prepared to get up from behind your keyboard and fight alongside them? Or do you just want to feel superior to another group of people by accusing them of being complicit in acts of terror and murder? What have you done to fight the perception that “All of (insert your religious beliefs, nationality, gender, sexuality, race, etc…) are bad because some of them have done horrible things.”? Why should the regular, peaceful believers of a religion have the responsibility to risk their necks or the necks of their loved ones to stand up to the mad-men in power who use and manipulate their beliefs into committing horrible acts? Are you out on the streets fighting crime, Batman? Did you do anything to stop the arming of ISIS before they became ISIS to fight the Assad regime? Did you re-elect the same people in Congress who created the conditions for ISIS to exist? Did you rally around “The Coalition of Freedom” when we removed an evil despot from power, only to leave a power vacuum and a worse situation? The polls from that time show you did. So have you gone in and decided to show the people there that are now subjected to the actions of terrorists, along with destroyed or degraded infrastructure, and lost loved-ones that westerners are not all bad?
The question, putting the responsibilities on the powerless people who just want to live their lives is both ignorant and hypocritical. To my fellow Americans, you did not participate in any revolution against tyranny. Those people are long gone and the world is very different now.
But by all means, the next time you hear that someone out there is generalizing a group you belong in, for the actions of a few, make sure you go fight them and stop them. Rise up against them and clear the name of your group, since that’s what you expect of others. Let me know how that works out for you, provided you survive.
Just click the “Follow” button up top again, and you won’t have to put up with this if you don’t wish to.